Whatever the health issue - congenital or acquired, chronic or acute, sporadic or outbreak, local or global - epidemiology strives to find its cause, source, prevention and control.
Epidemiology is the branch of public health which deals with the study of the distribution and determinants of diseases in a population and the prevention and control of such diseases.
Brazos County Health District (BCHD) epidemiologists are responsible for:
- Receiving and documentation of reportable diseases and conditions.
- Surveillance and monitoring of reportable diseases and conditions.
- Investigation of disease outbreaks.
- Recommendation and implementation of prevention and control measures for notifiable diseases.
- CoIIection and maintenance of data on notifiable conditions in the county.
- Information of the public on diseases and conditions of public health interest in the county.
- Reporting of notifiable conditions and outbreaks to regional, state and national agencies.
- Collaboration with regional, state and national agencies on public health programs and interventions in Brazos County.
Epidemiology Relies Heavily on Disease Reporting
To accomplish our mission of “Preventing disease, protecting life and promoting a healthy lifestyle”, the BCHD relies heavily on reports of notifiable conditions. Notifiable conditions are a select group of diseases and conditions which are required by law to be reported to the health district and other agencies by healthcare providers, laboratories and other healthcare partners. Public health relies on prompt reporting which is vital for the purposes of data collection, disease surveillance prevention and control, outbreak investigations, public health preparedness and emergency response as well as public health policy formulation.
The Brazos County Health District counts on all healthcare providers and partners in the county to report any confirmed, probable or suspected notifiable condition, outbreak, or unusual expression of illness to it.
For questions, further information or to report a notifiable condition please contact the Brazos County Health District at: 979-361-4440; and Fax Forms to: 979-823-2275
Notifiable Conditions List: https://www.dshs.texas.gov/idcu/investigation/conditions/